Ideas of how to address lingering restriction in recovery…
– Choose the highest cal & most scary option wherever possible.
– Ask, ‘What would pre-ED me have eaten?’
– Let ED chatter away but try to ignore the thoughts & threats.
– Notice a food ‘rule’ or restriction: address it… If any doubt that the choice you are making is ED or not- address it!
– Never save calories!
– Address compensatory behaviours (see my posts on exercise / movement).
– Remind yourself that you cannot overcome restriction with restriction!
– Remember that diet food usually tastes like s**t compared to the real deal!!
– Recovery should not feel comfortable – feel anxious, do it anyway!
– Always add butter to bread, milk to coffee/tea – when recovered you can decide if you like it – now is ensuring restriction is not getting in.
– Think of food, dreaming of ice cream – eat food, eat ice cream – now & not later.
– Eaten & still hungry? Eating more is never wrong!!
– Imagine explaining to an alien that you have an illness which left you starved / malnourished & you are treating it by not eating all you want & ignoring your hunger … see how mad it truly is!!
– What would you advise someone else?
– Avoid judging what & how much you want to eat & listen to your body!
– ‘Opposite actions’!
– Go fast.. ‘slam on the gas’ and eat all you crave or go stepwise into addressing restriction but make progress!!
– Use your life values to remember what you really want from life.
– If using a meal plan, see it as a MINIMUM. Do not let a plan be a tool to restrict.
– Eat out or something someone else prepares so loosens cannot control.
– Choose foods of unknown energy value – STOP buying diet / low cal / low fat foods – Ben & Jerry’s NOT Halo Top!!
– Remind self your body has been starved & malnourished – needs lots of energy, fats, nutrients to fully heal.
– Fear of weight gain will never go unless it’s faced – eat, gain weight & learn the world does not end.
– Weight gain alone is not recovery!
– Ask others to help.
– Live the life you want tomorrow today – this meal / snack COUNTS!